1. How’d you get started on Etsy? My cousin has an Etsy shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMermaidsMuse) and she introduced me to the concept. I opened my shop about a year ago but was not ready to focus on it and did not have many paintings to post, I have recently come back to it and am doing my best to figure Etsy out now that I am ready to spend the time required.
2. What was your inspiration for your shop? My sister discovered she had breast cancer when she was 32 years old and still nursing her youngest child. She battled it for 6 years before she went to meet her maker. She fought with grace, love and determination to be there for her children as long as possible. Her life and death remind me that we never know how long we have here on Earth and give me the determination to seize every day. I want to pour as much love and energy into my children and into my art as I can. Many ask me how I manage to make time for Art with three young children or encourage me to focus on my art later when there will be more time for it. There may never be more time. I know that loving my children and creating beautiful art can make an enduring change in the world that no temporarily clean house or folded laundry ever could. Those things manage to make their way into my days but my attention has been focused and narrowed by firsthand experience with the richness and shortness of the time we have.
3. What’s your favorite shop item and why? My favorite item are custom portrait commissions, I love working with people to give them beautiful paintings of their loved ones. The process can be a challenge but there is nothing better than hearing how happy people are with their paintings https://www.etsy.com/listing/202600664/custom-portrait-painting-commissions?
4. How do you unwind when you’re not creating? After caring for kids I almost always either work on my Paintings or sleep. Sometimes I read a book but not very often
5. What’s your favorite kind of cupcake? Yellow with a tiny bit of cream cheese icing.
6. What was your worst job? Cleaning Dorm rooms at a college during the summer.
7. What’s your favorite cartoon as a kid? As an adult, if you stumble upon it while channel surfing now would you stop & watch?
8. What’s your fantasy job? Portrait artist and/or Church Architect
9. Do you have a secret guilty pleasure? Reality Television while I paint
10. List 3 things you are so obsessed with it is torture to ever say no to. My 3 children
11. List 3 of your favorite Etsy shops. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMermaidsMuse I love her needle felting. I have a bird mobile over my baby’s crib that she made. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MandatoJewelryDesign She does not have much listed because she is so busy with custom orders, I have two of her necklaces https://www.etsy.com/shop/LBArtworks I love these purses and I really want to buy one sometime
12. Do you have a favorite author? When you read, do you use a proper bookmark, bend the page, or grab anything handy to mark your place? I love so many books I can never pick a favorite. I always grab a scrap paper.
13. If money was no object and you can live wherever you want, where would that be? Close to my family
14. What is your best childhood memory? I have s so many but one of my best is riding my trycyle around in circles on the front porch in a warm summer downpour.
15. How would you describe your work style? I paint with oils after the kids are in bed at night.
16. If you could choose any one super power, what would it be and why? Bi-Location I would be painting and playing with my kiddos at the same time.
17. Who are your heroes? My Mother, my grandmothers and My sister who passed away from breast cancer 10 years ago.
18. What would you do if you won the lottery? Move closer to my parents, My husband would quit his job and work on writing or whatever he wanted and I would PAINT!
19. What was the last movie you watched? Was it good? I watched a drama about Art Forgery. It had a strange view on the art world and did not have great acting.
20. If you knew what you know now, when you first opened your store, what would you do different? I am just starting out so if anyone can tell me what I should do please let me know.